Did you know?

A "Pandula" is a flower which blooms only in one's imagination.

Pages

Thursday, February 17, 2011

February 16, 2011

For those of you who follow that are fiber geeks like myself, anything from knitting, crocheting, spinning or my own love, weaving, you should consider joining one of the larger fiber groups.

I belong to both Weavolution and Ravelry.  While Weavolution concentrates on weaving, Ravelry encompasses ALL of the fiber arts.  If you can think it up, there is a group on Ravelry for it.  I belong to 5 of them.  Most of my participation is in the backstrap and inkle groups.  Because both of these groups do 'warp face' weaving, which you can accomplish on alot of different looms.  Even a floor loom or a rigid heddle.  

What I am after in these groups is technique information.  Design, warping, creative ideas...these are what rock my world.  Some of these groups are very technical, for those who love that I am happy they have also found a place to gather.  It's just not necessarily my thing.  I like to think outside the box.  Like taking a little picture of a design and playing with it until it is distinctly my own.  I am getting better at it each time too.  I simply could not have achieved such goals without these groups and the lovely participants.  They are warm, considerate and sharing with the time and ideas.

So now it is my turn.  I recently participated in a Weave A Long in the backstrap group on Ravelry, of course Laverne Waddington is the moderator.  I learned so much and had waaayyyyy too much fun as well.  Alas though, all good things must come to an end, as will the WAL in the backstrap group.  March 6th to be exact.  Wiggles and I really hated to see it end...So I got an idea.  

Why can't I form my own WAL.  Not in the same group though as that is not my place.  I certainly didn't want to step on anyone else's toes.  So I started to thinking...maybe I could start up some sort of participation on my blog.  Couldn't figure out how to get a proper 'widget' that would allow people to post in MY blog.  Only I can do that I guess.  Then I started looking around in Ravelry again and discovered that the INKLE group had all but died out.  It needed a jump start.

Since the weave structure is the same as what is usually produced on a backstrap loom, I thought maybe I have enough knowledge to get us going.  SO I DID!

We are having a WAL and you are cordially invited.  Everyone, every skill level.  No big monies to spend, no complicated weave techniques (unless you want to), just alot of like minded people practicing and trying to perfect whatever it is that they feel they need to work on.

Below are my guide lines.  Come join  us.  Ravelry is free!  All you have to do is join.  Then you can come out to play with us!  If not with us, maybe you are only interested in knitting, LOTS of groups for that too.  I am sure they have KNIT A LONGS!  

Stop procrastinating and step outside of your comfort zone.  I did! and I was welcomed with open arms by all.  I would not have cared if only 1 other person wanted to participate.  That is one more person that I can relate to, help or get help from.  You scratch my back and I will scratch yours kind of thing.

Take a look.

I have suggested an all around Weave A Long. All skill levels, all kinds of inkle/warpface weaving.
I would like it to start on March 1st.
  1. We would all use cotton.
  2. I would like to shoot for at least 3 in. width if your loom
    will accommodate, if it won’t do 3 in. just try to go wider than your comfort zone.

  3. I would like for everyone to try to make a longer length than they have in the past.  Maybe max your loom.
  4. Any technique you want to do is okay. From plain weave to very complicated. I know several, I don’t have a day job and I am very glad to help in any way I can.
Suggestions:
 
a.  Plain weave
    b.  double weave
    c.  you could do soumak, picots, stripes, 
or  combs.
    d.  You can do inlay, I have tried it and understand the theory, 
even though I wasn't so good at it.
    e.  plain weave is beautiful with crisp cotton yarns.
    f.   Or maybe you just want to work on your salvages and warping techniques. 
We might have suggestions for that also.
 
 
I think it will allow us to discover some new techniques, some new yarns and weights. Find out where they are available and their price range. If you want to we can even assemble a little bag, cell ph cover, i pad case. Something that could be made from the strip with simple hand stitching.

I would love to have all of you participate that can. Please let me know. If you need to contact me I am at pandulaarts@yahoo.com. If you want to see the little pouch’s look on my blog at http://pandulaartscreations.blogspot.com/ . You can see pictures of them and a few of my beginner pieces along the right hand side.


DON’T FORGET TO POST LOTS OF PICTURES GIRLS AND BOYS!
Also I am thinking we will end this one on April 15th…unless we are just having too much fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment