Did you know?

A "Pandula" is a flower which blooms only in one's imagination.

Pages

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Rss back up and running! WaHOO!

August 4th, 2011

This is just a little update.  I have indeed started to get my Facebook back up to par...again.  Every time they make changes it blows up.  Somehow I can't see my friend's avatars, but other than that it is working fine again.

So although I am terribly behind in my postings, (they are usually a month or so ahead) I am going to post a little something for tomorrow the 5th.  I will keep on the Monday, Tuesday and Friday schedule.

I did indeed finish the little experimental blue and pink piece.  I used the Handwoven magazine for January/February 2011.  There is an article on double weave book marks and I have now tried several of the techniques.  I have also used the Jennifer Moore video I bought months ago in Georgia.  

I am not sure yet which I like best.  True Finnweave (a form of dbl wv) looks beautiful on the front, nice clean lines with no hatching at the edges, but is absolutely not reversible.  The others have varying degree's of this hatching on the edges of the motif's, along with varying degree's of reversibility.  My goal is not reversibility.  My personal goals are clean lines, less bulk than warp face double weave, (because the threads are spaced further apart you also get a larger piece for the same amount of yarn, so it is economical also) better drape, and I don't care at all about the reversibility.  I figure that if I want reversibility I will just use my warp face double weave techniques.  (Like the skull piece I have been working on.)

So that being said, remember that the skull piece was supposed to be plain weave double weave and I had some threading (warping) issues, and converted it over to the warp face dbl  wv.  I find wrp fc dbl wv much more straightforward and it has much cleaner design lines on your motif.  But unless you use fine thread, and I prefer #3 crochet thread, it is very thick.  The fine threads are just too tedious and difficult to see for me, even though I love what they produce.

So here are pictures of the little practice band, and I do wish I could remember which section I used which technique.  I will definitely keep notes on that the next time.  My handwritten journal has turned into my weaving bible.  I keep very accurate notes, on thread count, width, warps per in, length etc...But I didn't think to write down which technique was used for each design factor.  I think the ones I like best are the ones on the opposite end from the squares.  I believe they are done in the #3 technique in the Handwoven magazine (the one that looks a little like a heart is actually not, it is part of the motif on those bookmarks.  The squares and the first diamond are done in the Jennifer Moore technique and are reversible.




No comments:

Post a Comment