Well I finally figured out how I wanted the closures to work and finished up the Periwinkle and white piece (tote). I created a bag out of it. It looks bigger than it really is because the sides are simply blanket stitched together. In other words I didn't put any strips for side walls in it so it is flat.
I like the idea of my bags being pretty much self contained, very little finish work. I simply sew up the sides and develop a closure and it is complete.
It doesn't need any lining as tapestry and a boardy kind of fabric that nothing can fall out of or through. The straps so far have just be large braids fashioned in such a way as to make them adjustable. That way you can wear it diagonally, as a shoulder bag or even in hand bag tradition. I am considering doing some Peruvian finger weaving for straps in the future. This would let me put sidewalls on the bags.
The closure on this one is a draw string that also looks decorative in the front. At first a 13 in bag seemed too wide, but once I put something in it my estimations for the size were dead on. It is only 8 1/2 in tall as I ran out of the periwinkle yarn.
Because the bag is flat, i.e. no sides, it needs to be wide or it would be too small. For myself I like my bag a little roomy. Anyway, I am going to carry this one for prototype purposes. The white one was the one I really wanted for myself (still might use it if it doesn't sell) but it was a little small.
I will definitely let you know how it works out.
Here are the pictures. Don't forget I spun the cotton for this one also. My kid will definitely call me a hippie now.
Oh yeah, I definitely look forward to feed back, including suggestions.
Complete front view.
Close up front view.
Inside close up.