Did you know?

A "Pandula" is a flower which blooms only in one's imagination.

Pages

Sunday, July 25, 2010

I Need some feedback!

I have been toying around with the idea of doing a coloring book.  After I messed up a few designs, or did a design in color pencil and half way through I wished that I had done it in graphite / pencil, (or vice versa) ,I started to keep copies of my original line drawing.  As a result I have copies of quite a number of these.  

My first thought was to never produce the same thing twice, "  only one of a kind designs"  .  In other words if you bought a piece of my art no one but you would ever have a copy of it.  But since in general things are not selling I am forced to rethink this idea.  I don't have copies of all of my work, as this it didn't even occur to me to keep copies until I had been at this for quite some time.  Further more I can still make more designs.  I have two sitting ready on the boards as we speak.  I won't work on them one way or the other until I complete my commission works.  

Any way I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this one way or the other and I would love to hear those thoughts.

6 comments:

Nancy at EmbroideryIt.com said...

I think your work is truly beautiful. I've heard about coloring books for grownups. I'm guessing that is what you are refering to. I think it would be fun and relaxing to color in some of your drawings.
Nancy
http://www.basketmasterweavings.blogspot.com/

Majestic Blue said...

Hi, I think that coloring books for adults would be great. I love you drawings. One thing that you will have to think about is if someone uses your drawings for other purposes. For example, I have gotten free stained glass patterns online and have blown them up to make fabric stained glass wall hangings. If you don't want anyone to use your drawings for other purposes, you will have to put something stating that you do not authorize for reproduction or something like that.

Carol Tannahill said...

Coloring books for grownups is a cool idea! My partner colors all the black and white line drawings he can get his hands on and would definitely be up for this, and I'm sure he wouldn't be the only one. There are many people who would love to create if they could get a starting point.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great thing to me too. Can't you add a copyright to your drawings? You can mass produce and make more money that way. If I were you, I would look into that.

Groovy Pumpkin said...

Hello Marsha,

I think your colouring book idea is inspired!! Not only for adults, but I'm sure children/teens would also feel happy colouring in subjects that are not so childlike. You could scan in your line drawings and add a copyright symbol/text somewhere next to each of the designs.

By the way, your work is outstanding - I love it!!

Jane xx

Christina Nabity said...

I've been wanting to put out a coloring book for years, myself. It's definitely a good idea. I always felt that artists who weren't wanting to put out prints etc of their art were really limiting themselves. Just remember to include your copyright info and what people are allowed to do with the images somewhere in the book. You might consider using something like Lulu or Smashwords or both for putting it out. Lulu being for a printed version, and Smashwords being for an e-book version where people could print their own pages. Or simply emailing the coloring pages when people purchase from your artfire shop you could offer a printed version to ship yourself but that's got more overhead costs for you and shipping costs for the customer when if you emailed it they wouldn't have to pay shipping plus they'd have a back up copy to color again and again, just be sure you are very explicit about what they are allowed to do.

Post a Comment