Did you know?

A "Pandula" is a flower which blooms only in one's imagination.


Saturday, January 8, 2011

New warp face technique!

Unfortunately, my Artfire site doesn't seem to be selling anything, so I have decided now that the 'have to' weaving are completed I can go on to do some just for the 'fun' of learning something new.

As you know, I belong to a couple of weaving groups.  I have been particularly active in the Ravelry backstrap and inkle groups  (the backstrap info translates well to my Gilmore Mini Wave Loom).  In the backstrap group we are doing a WAL, Weave-a-long.  I have been wanting to try something called 'One weft double weave'.  I did indeed complete two small pieces in the past, but quickly had to move on to something that went a little faster so that I could finish Christmas presents.  

This 'pick-up' technique allows me to eliminate the horizontal lines in the background of my work.  I want to try for solid backgrounds.  This also allows me to have a weaving with one color on one side and another on the other side.  If you do pick-up designs they show in reverse from one side to the other.  It also produces a heavier woven structure.  A little less drape in the finished product.  Perfect for things like belts and dog collars!

For now, I am simply concentrating on a 1 1/2 inch band with no design.  This is a much slower, and laborious technique that requires all of my concentration.  It makes it easier to produce lettering and my own design work as well...once I get the hang of it anyway.  In two days I have only produced about 12 in.  Remember I don't have a day job and can devote more time that most people to my weaving.  Still taking me alot of time for this technique.  But once I get it together...watch out!

So, as usual, especially since I am participating in the WAL, I am taking alot of pictures.  Here is the start of my project.

First warping.  This is the 4 1/2 yard warp board made by Gilmore Looms.

Here I am ready to start threading the heddles.

Here I have threaded the heddles and then tied onto the front beam!

Here we have the backside of the loom all warped up and ready to go!

Here we have a side view.  As you can see I not only have to use the two existing sheds, but I have to develope two more for each 'row' of weaving.  Two for the front side and two for the bottom side.

Here you see the very beginning.  Notice how much wider the piece looks before you actually start weaving.  Since you only use 1/2 of the warps with each pass it becomes much narrow as you weave.  This makes getting the very beginning of the weave very difficult to keep the same width as the rest of the weaving.  I think I did O.K. though!

I will definitely post pics of my progress.  I just don't want to mess up my tension on the loom by unrolling the finished weaving for now!  So stay tuned folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment