So girls and boys I am finally starting to feel a little better. Definitely bored out of my mind. Not necessarily good for the creativity.
Anyway, when I could finally get out of bed again I decided to do some research/art. I happened on a supply site for basket weaving and found that they sell the sheaths of new growth on Split Leaf Philodendron. Just so happens I have a large one in my yard so I went out and harvested about $20.00 worth. Pretty kewl huh!
Then since it is summer we have been eating a lot of corn on the cob. So I decided to dry the husks and incorporate them, along with the split leaf sheaths, into my basket work.
Then I went to the front yard to try something of a brain storm I had. I pried off some bark from a Pine tree...then got out the dremel...strategically placed some wholes and walah!!!! cente start for a new basket. Now you should know that this is not the easiest thing to do. Pine bark tends to flake. So I started with a much larger piece than I ended up with. But on the cool side it seemed only fitting that a " Pine Needle" basket have a " Pine bark" center.
At this point I have not spent $0.00 on my supplies except on different colored wire, along with the copper wire, from the 1st basket.
Also, if you have been following along you know that recently I tried a new stitch called the V-stitch. Didn't care for it at first but I decided to give it another shot. From all I have read the fancier stitches are supposed to create a firmer basket.
I even found a big bundle of raffia and decided to try it. BIG mistake, personally I love the way it looks, HATE working with it. It shreds, breaks and definitely doesn't give enough tension (because it breaks). So I went back to using my famous crochet thread. My favorite is the #10 mercerized, but this time I am using #3 mercerized in red (all I had in #10 was the ecru, and I was tired of it).
Pictures to follow.